At Comprehensive Cancer Centers of Nevada, we want to be your biggest ally in the fight against cancer. We also want to be a great resource for healthy eating so you can prevent and fight cancer on your own. Below is a list of cancer-fighting healthy recipes that you can make to try to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Featured Recipe: Lentil Salad
Lentils are a good alternative to meat and are often used in veggie burgers, soups and salads. Lentils are rich in fiber, protein, iron and folate. Several studies have demonstrated that the consumption of lentils is immensely connected to the reduction in the incidence of diseases such as diabetes, obesity, cancers and cardiovascular diseases due to its bioactive compounds.
This lentil salad recipe is healthy, cancer-fighting, requires little prep and can be made in less than 30 minutes!
2 cups dried green or brown lentils
1 medium red onion, diced
1/4 cup capers (diced if large)
2 cups fresh arugula
1 medium cucumber, chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup feta cheese
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Rinse lentils and drain. Place in a pot and cover with about 3-4 inches of water, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes (lentils should still be slightly al dente).
- While the lentils are cooking, make the vinaigrette by whisking all ingredients together (or shaking in a jar with a tight-fitting lid).
- When the lentils are cooked, remove from heat, drain and rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking process.
- Add lentils to a large bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Mix in the onion and capers.
- Add arugula, cucumber, walnuts and feta just before serving.
Check out more recipes below.
- Summer Lasagna
- Sweet Potato and Spinach Turkey Burgers
- The Ultimate Detox Salad
- Spaghetti Squash with Basil-Parsley Pesto and Shrimp
- Carrot and Apple Soup
- Baked Cod with Lentils and Salsa
- Vegetable and Cashew Lasagna
- Antioxidant Muffins
- Kale Salad with Quinoa, Tangerines and Roasted Almonds
- Fennel and Mushroom Soup
- Rustic Bread with Fruits and Nuts
- Roasted Turkey Breast
- Energizing Breakfast Drink
- Baked Eggs with Mushroom and Spinach
- Eggplant Pizza