At Comprehensive Cancer Centers of Nevada, we want to be your biggest ally in the fight against cancer. We also want to be a great resource for healthy eating so you can prevent and fight cancer on your own. Below is a list of cancer-fighting healthy recipes that you can make to try to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Featured Recipe: The Ultimate Detox Salad
We’ve mentioned before that it’s a good rule of thumb to “eat the rainbow.” Foods that come in a variety of colors, like those of the rainbow, are important in helping fight cancer. They contain many active ingredients like Allyl Sulfides to help destroy cancer cells, antioxidants which protect your cells against free radicals, Beta-Carotene to help keep the immune system strong and Vitamin C to detoxify your body of harmful substances. The Ultimate Detox Salad certainly contains a rainbow of cancer-fighting vegetables.
Serves 6, as a lunch or dinner course
For the dressing:
1/3 cup grapeseed oil
1/2 cup lemon juice, fresh
1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and grated
2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, optional
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
For the salad:
2 cups dinosaur kale, tightly packed and thinly sliced
2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
2 cups broccoli florets
2 large carrots, peeled and grated
1 red bell pepper, sliced into matchsticks
2 avocados, peeled and diced
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup walnuts
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Whisk together all ingredients for the dressing (or put everything in a small blender and blend) and set aside until ready to use.
- Add the kale, cabbage, broccoli, bell pepper, and carrots to a large serving bowl.
- Pour desired amount of dressing over the salad and toss until everything is coated.
- Add the parsley, diced avocado, sesame seeds and walnuts and toss again.
- Serve as an entrée salad or as a side salad to your favorite meal.
Credit: Eat to Beat Cancer
Check out more recipes below.
- Spaghetti Squash with Basil-Parsley Pesto and Shrimp
- Carrot and Apple Soup
- Baked Cod with Lentils and Salsa
- Vegetable and Cashew Lasagna
- Antioxidant Muffins
- Kale Salad with Quinoa, Tangerines and Roasted Almonds
- Fennel and Mushroom Soup
- Rustic Bread with Fruits and Nuts
- Roasted Turkey Breast
- Energizing Breakfast Drink
- Baked Eggs with Mushroom and Spinach
- Eggplant Pizza