What to Expect at Your First Appointment
We encourage you to bring a friend or family member with you to your first appointment. They will be able to help you listen and understand what your care team is explaining about the treatment processes. It’s also important to have them with you for support.
When you arrive at any of our locations, you will find convenient, easy access to our center, even if you require a wheelchair. During your first visit, you should plan to spend an hour.
Here is what you can expect at your first appointment:
- Initial meeting and evaluation with your physician
- Tests taken to determine an accurate diagnosis which will help guide your treatments
- Meeting with your nurse and other members of your medical team
- Meeting with your financial counselor to discuss your insurance and billing questions
If your treatment process requires chemotherapy, you will meet one-on-one with a nurse or nurse practitioner to better understand chemotherapy and the treatment process as well as how to manage and side effects.
Some of the topics covered in the chemo class include:
- Chemotherapy at a glance
- Infusion room guidelines
- Information about laboratory values
- This to report to your physician
- Managing the side effects of chemo
- Healthy eating habits
- Local resources for cancer patients